We are proud to announce ClearPathGPS Dashcams
- Dual Cameras – Both the driver and road-facing cameras record HD720p video at 30fps
- Internal Storage- ClearPathGPS cameras have 128GB solid state memory, 2x the storage capacity of the consumer version. The solid-state memory is non-removable to prevent theft
- Powered via simply plugging into the OBD port, JBUS adapter might be required for certain large vehicles
- The cameras are always recording while the vehicle is being driven and the footage is stored locally on the camera’s solid-state drive until the user requests the media using the Media Manager in the ClearPathGPS portal.
- The 128GB of storage space means that around 100 hours of high-resolution video can be stored before the data is saved over. If both road and driver facing cameras are enabled, this would be around 50 hours of drive time before data is saved over.
- Guard Mode: When the vehicle is sitting the camera turns off and the device enters ‘guard mode.’ If any events are detected (break in, bump, etc.) then both cameras will turn and record for 20 seconds. Guard mode is indicated by a green light pulsing quickly every two seconds.
Apart from these bump/break events, the cameras are not recording when the vehicle is parked to prevent hours of unnecessary footage taking up space on the camera's drive. Thus, there will be no Media available from time periods the vehicle is parked other than the automatically recorded bump/break-in events.
- All dashcams ship from ClearPathGPS with the microphone turned off, for legal reasons. If you would like your microphone enabled, please contact ClearPathGPS at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Video or snapshots can be retrieved in two ways: Via the Map, or Via the Dashcam Media Page
- Via the map: If you know roughly where or when an incident occurred, it is easy to find that point on the map and request the video/snapshot.
- Navigate to Map -> Vehicle map and select the appropriate vehicle and day.
- Turn on ‘Track Points’ in the bottom left in the Pushpin Legend to get more data points on the map.
- Click on any of the pins to bring up the vehicle details box.
- Select the ‘Dashcam Media’ link to jump to request media from that specific moment. (Depending on the type of incident, you might have a ‘hard braking’ or ‘cornering’ event on the map already.)
- Via the Dashcam Media page: If you know the exact time of the video you’d like to request, you can skip the map and navigate directly to the Media Manager.
- Click on Administration->Dashcam Media
- Select the appropriate vehicle from the dropdown list in the top left
- If you don't see the event you're looking for, click on 'Request More Media' at the bottom of the page.
- Select the camera view and type of media and click 'Next.'
- Select the time and date of the video clip you would like to request and click 'Next'
- Finally, verify your selection choices are correct, and click 'Request Media.'
- Downloading Locally: Once the requested media is in the Media Manager, it will remain there for 30 days. We recommend that users download the media locally so that they have a permanent copy. To download, view the media in the Media Manager and click on the ‘Download Media’ button. This will download the media as a Zip file to your computer. The file will contain the Road Facing and Driver Facing video as separate files.
Note: Vehicles with a camera associated with them will have a camera icon displayed next to their name in the Vehicle list on the map page:
Certain events will automatically upload a snapshot or video to ClearPathGPS’s Media Manger to make requesting more media of that event easier. These automatic snapshots do not count towards your account’s data usage unless video is requested. Automatic events are:
- Impact Events- When the vehicle is parked and the engine is off (guard mode), sensors in the camera can detect bumps and dents and will automatically upload an image to the Media Manager. There will likely be quite a few of these events that are false alarms such as the driver loading something in the back of the vehicle, vibrations in the parking structure, the driver opening the door, etc. As it’s impossible to distinguish between a ‘good bump’ and a ‘bad bump’ all snapshots are recorded so that if there is damage done to the vehicle the user can easily find and request video of that event.
- Crash Events- When the vehicle is driving, the camera’s accelerometer will detect a crash and upload a snapshot to the portal so that video can be requested.
- OK Presto Events- When the driver says the phrase, ‘OK Presto’ a snapshot is automatically uploaded as a marker to make retrieving video clips easier. We recommend using this phrase any time the driver would like to quickly bookmark an event for easy retrieval later.
Note: The Media Manger has a convenient ‘Filter’ button to help find the event you’re looking for more easily. For example you can search for only ‘OK Presto’ events.
Prior to installing the dashcam, it should be linked to the vehicle that is being tracked. To do so:
- Navigate in the ClearPathGPS Portal to Administration -> Dashcam Admin
- Find the dashcam by its serial number (Displayed on the sticker on the screen of the dashcam itself)
- Select that dashcam and click ‘Edit’
- Enter a Description in the ‘Camera Description Box’ (Example: Red Toyota's Camera)
- Choose from the ‘Assigned Vehicle ID’ dropdown box which vehicle the dashcam will be installed in
- Click ‘Change’ to save these changes
Video showing how to link the camera to a vehicle:
- Tap the screen
- Slide the slider bar for Inside Camera to Off
- Note: If you have enabled 'Tap to create clip,' you will need to touch the three lines to access the menu, instead of tapping the screen.
ClearPathGPS allows for different users to have different levels of access in the Web Portal and Mobile versions. This is set up via the Web Portal, for more information see User Permission Levels
- Users- Can not see anything related to dashcams
- Managers- Can view and retrieve dashcam video. Can View Dashcam Admin, but not Edit.
- Admins- Can view and retrieve dashcam video. Only Admins can Edit in Dashcam Admin